How helpful are reverse cameras?

You may also like...

11 Responses

1. Shaun says:

In my opinion. reverse cameras can be great on oversized vehicles but for most passenger vehicles, they should be absent. We tend to become too dependent on technology when it comes to driving and it’s come to the point now that it’s creating and encouraging bad habits. Either you take away all control from a driver and have the car drive itself or not at all. This half-way point is dangerous. Here is my take on this: http://www.roadawareness.org/news/is-technology-going-too-far/

2. davidjroot says:

Back-up cameras can be a great tool, giving drivers a clear view of what is immediately behind their vehicles — even SUVs and coupes. However, they are NOT to be relied upon. By looking out the rear window a driver gets a wider view, and can spot vehicles and pedestrians approaching from the sides, something that would not be seen — until it is too late — in the video screen.

3. bridgetjohns says:

I love my back up camera…but understand it’s strengths and weaknesses, too. Mine shows up in my rearview mirror when the car is in reverse (Honda Pilot). It’s extremely helpful on dark nights in the rain. With it, the blackness of the night turns into shades of gray and I can see mailboxes, bushes and most importantly, the road.

My camera is convex, too, so it gets an unobstructed view that I can’t get if I just used my eyes looking out the back (there are blind spots with passenger heads and the frame of the vehicle).

That said, I usually use my mirror in the beginning and then aim with my eyes out the back. I prefer the real picture rather than the distorted one through a camera. I wrote a post about back up cameras here: http://defensivedrivinghabits.blogspot.com/2010/10/back-up-camera-blues.html. There are also some photos of how objects can be hidden from the camera’s view.

4. You can’t expect a complete solution from automated things. Human intelligence is one thing which overcomes all these troubles. We make our self in a vulnerable situation by mostly depending on the technology.

Use common sense along with technology.

5. i copy the same as above mate said.. Technology is discovered by Humans with the involvement of common sense. back-up camera helps me upto 50% and rest should be by us..!

6. novusauto says:

In vehicle witness cameras are accepted by many insurance companies whom now accept that this data is invaluable and will use this data to prove without doubt what happened in the event of an accident or incident.
    car camera

7. jennjilks says:

I love our reverse camera. It has a wide angle lens with more scope than either mirrors or my turning my head.

8. Jan h says:

I usually agree with, and Lear much from Scott. Cameras aside, people need to learn to use mirrors. I was dependent on looking out rear windows, but some cars have horrible blind spots, as do trucks with trailers, or SUVs with cargo. My husband had worked diligently to break my rear window dependency by teaching me how to align all mirrors correctly.

1. January 10, 2017

[…] a camera on your car can even make you better when it comes to parking. Being able to see behind you when reversing gives you a chance to focus on your control of the car, rather than struggling to see behind you. […]