Canada’s Worst Driver…7

You may also like...

No Responses

1. shanyns says:

Great post Scott, and I’ve nominated someone for the show because he needed a dose of humble pie and some instruction too! He wasn’t ‘bad enough’ for the show but even being nominated got him thinking about his driving a bit.

I wouldn’t go on the show, unless it was to drive and share about my personal pet driving peeves- awareness and safe gravel road driving. I shared with you on FB about the accident I watched happen and aided at last week.

Anyone who goes on the show should be commended for their courage to be challenged in the public eye like that. Having gotten to know a few of the former nominees I can say it has helped them but often in ways they did not expect.

Perhaps the best thing about Canada’s Worst Driver is that it gives all of us watching a chance to see some really bad drivers and learn some important driving techniques. I know I have the most traffic and road aware homeschooler around because we have watched the show with him from the start. He knows his signs, road safety and is very aware of other drivers when we are out and about. That alone has value because too many people are so unaware of what is going on around them, fatally unaware.

I hope Andrew keeps going with the show, and I hope they can find their way to some different challenges and really keeping it about driving better and not about the drama of watching horrible drivers!

2. Aaron McLaughlin says:

No I wouldnt go on national television to embarass myself

3. shirley says:

I would and did go on this national television for two good reasons. One I wanted driving lessons from experts.This shows has the best.! No where would one be able to practice avoidance techniques on our roads. That’s just one example. The other reason for agreeing to this show was for fun.That I had(with lots of stress and tears added). The friendships and laughs I took away with me are priceless. So please watch and enjoy. Don’t be so critical!

• safedriver says:

Thanks for your comment Shirley. However, most people across Canada who watch the show are critical of everyone there. It’s the premise of Canada’s WORST Driver. The moment anyone goes on television, they become fair game to be applauded… or criticized. It’s par for the course. I wish you well, but everyone on the show is fair game. Watch and listen to the experts on the show as each episode continues and you’ll see they too are critical of the actions of each driver. It was like that when I was a judge on CWD for seasons 1, 2 and 3. It’s nothing personal, it’s about becoming a safer driver. I applaud you for wanting to improve your driving ability. I hope it works for you. I still chat with members from the show when I did it as well. For the most part, they had fun too! Take care.

• shirley says:

Oh, I know all is fair and I love that about it. When I agreed to the show I was willing for the positive and negative. Thanks for the response and we will keep watching!!

• L.B. says:

You will always be the #1 Captain in many lives….. thats all that matters xoxo:)

4. Andrew says:

What do the participants do for a living? I cant find this info.

• safedriver says:

That information is hard to find. Most of that info is kept secret by the production company so their personal life remains… personal.

5. jaykay says:

Hey Scott,

Here are a few of the reasons that I think CWD deserves to continue its run for as long as people are willing to be put through their paces as participants of the Canada’s Worst Driver t.v. show.

Every time CWD shows a driving lesson and then follows it up with a challenge, those of us watching from home have a chance to learn something. How can that be a bad thing? Personally, I enjoy best Phillipe’s advanced techniques, leading me to consider taking an advanced driving course myself. On national t.v.? Hmm… not sure I’m that brave! Nevertheless, if I’m considering this, perhaps there are others too. That’s got to be a good thing: More driver education in Canada… safer roads.

Next, please consider the spotlight that CWD shines on what often turn out to be the most memorable of participants such as the very courageous and likeable Aaron from this season (2011). I’ve just finished watching the episode that shows John vowing to stop speeding outrageously and to stop texting while driving. Perhaps there are more people like John whose eyes have been opened by Aaron and his story and to the very real danger that distracted, speeding drivers present on our roads. Maybe there are people watching who, in John’s words, “don’t want to be that guy”.

Finally, yes, it’s a good thing that the show is critical of the participating drivers’ skills. This helps the drivers (and us) learn. Of course, in any critique, it helps to include positive feedback, as long as it honest. Honestly, I think CWD does a great job of balancing humour and sensitivity with the seriousness that driving demands of all of us.

Thank you to all the participants for having the courage to help us learn from your mistakes.

• safedriver says:

Thanks for your thoughts Jay. Apparently, the show’s actions are making you think about your driving. That works for me!

• L.B. says:

Your comment sums it up perfectly, not everyone would want to be on t.v. but, ‘EVERYONE” could truly learn something from watching,whether it be a driving skill… or a reminder to not use a cell phone while driving or multi tasking… sadly… distracted driving is more common than most will admit to, if people were honest about it everyone has done it at some point in their lives.I hope people will think twice after weatching this season.. it only takes a second, lets do our part one by one to make our roads a llittle safer.:)

• safedriver says:

Thank you for your comment L.B. I also think you added a key point…honesty. If drivers were more honest with themselves, crashes, injury and road deaths would decrease significantly. Thanks again.

6. Desiree says:

Hi my name is Desiree I’m 23 yrs old and I wanted to thank Aaron Cheshire for helping me with my struggles with driving! I was in a bad car accident last year I suffer from ptsd and I almost lost my hand/ wrist and mid arm and I have a plate and screws holing my wrist together I was absolutely devastated after the accident because I loved driving before the accident but now I’m completely scared to drive ! It’s like I’ve forgotten how to drive and I’m constantly in fear of driving even sitting in a car made me cry ! I watched Aaron go through the challenges when I was recovering from my accident and I was in tears the whole time I was also inspired by him to over come my fear ! I even applied for CWD season 9 because if they could have helped you with confidence and real life skills they could help me ! I’m slowly getting back to normal i take it one day at a time ! Thank you Aaron and CWD !!!